The “Advanced Screenwriting Mentored Workshop” with instructor Kathy Cabrera is designed for students who have a screenplay that is ready to be fully developed and written. Students will receive mentored guidance in a collaborative small group setting to help develop their initial story into a detailed outline, and to start writing their screenplay pages. Many students who have taken this class in the past have used the collaborative environment as a support system they needed to write their very first screenplay. The class will meet five times between February and May 2013.
The course is best suited for students who are already up to speed on the elementary basics of writing a screenplay. Students with knowledge of the screenwriting basics who are new to taking classes with the Atlanta Film Festival 365 are welcome to join (prior classes, like Screenwriting 101, are not required pre-requisites).
Students can work at their own pace but will have the opportunity each class to share their story outlines and excerpts of the scripts they develop in the course for direct feedback from the instructor and fellow students. Students will be expected to also provide collaborative feedback on each other’s work, and can also submit questions they have between classes via email (and a private Facebook group if students are interested) to the instructor and each other. While some students at the earliest stages of a project may use this course as an opportunity to fully develop their story into a detailed outline and complete the first 30 pages of a script, students who are further along in their projects can also treat each class meeting as a deadline and expect to finish a full draft of their script.
The dates of each class follow:
- CLASS 1: Saturday, 2/2/13 (10:45AM) – this class is an introductory class on outlining. It will cover guidance on how to outline your script, and students will verbally share details about their stories with the class (brief 2 min. overview)
- CLASS 2: Saturday, 2/23/13 (10:45AM) – this is a workshop class – students will bring in pages or outline for real-time review and feedback
- CLASS 3: Saturday, 3/23/13 (10:45AM) – this is a workshop class – students will bring in pages or outline for real-time review and feedback
- CLASS 4: Saturday, 4/20/13 (10:45AM) – this is a workshop class – students will bring in pages or outline for real-time review and feedback
- CLASS 5: Saturday, 5/18/13 (10:45AM) – this is a workshop class – students will bring in pages or outline for real-time review and feedback
All classes will begin at 10:45AM and ending times will be determined by how many students attend and whose work will be reviewed in the workshop that day.